We are most definitely living in an exciting time, as technology continues to develop at a tremendous pace and life will change dramatically over the next couple of decades. Here is our list of the top tech innovations that will shape the world in the coming years.
- The Internet of Things (IoT) – As the name suggests, this global digital platform is purely for devices; automated vehicles will all be controlled by AI, using the IoT network, which will be powered by 5G. You can check your CCTV at home using an app and when you are ready to leave the office, you can turn on the climate control via your mobile device. White glove logistics companies such as Rhenus High Tech provide essential transportation and installation of a wide range of technical equipment.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) – Machine learning is a real game-changer and we have already made great strides building supercomputers that can learn. AI will control all transportation (including air) and regarding design and manufacture, AI will beat any human. Elon Musk and other major players are investing heavily in AI development and let’s not forget the amazing victory of AlphaGo (AI Computer), which beat the world Go champion, Mr. Lee Sedol, a 19 times world champion by 4 games to 1. This was in 2016 and this milestone was not expected until 2030, which highlights the pace of development. Click here for an interesting article on the importance of teaching our kids IT.
- 3D Printing – This will revolutionise the manufacturing sector, with experts predicting the high street store will be replaced by 3D printing stations and using a range of composites, anything is possible. How does it work? The computer software uses a special 3D scanner that can replicate any object and when this data is fed to a 3D printer, the precise shape and size will be created in front of your eyes!
- Robotics – It was only a few years ago when we managed to build a robot that could walk; now we have machines that can do a backflip and run up a flight of stairs! We are only a few years away from being able to buy a humanoid robot to do our housework and these machines will look just like a human and with AI, he or she will have their own unique personality.
- Blockchain – This is an open-ledger digital network that is supposed to be hack-proof; Bitcoin runs on blockchain and government are in the process of putting citizen data on secure blockchains. There are many aspects of society that will be positively impacted by blockchain technology; real estate ownership, intellectual property rights, even your ID can all be secured on a blockchain, making identity theft a thing of the past.
If you are unhappy with the direction your career is taking, there are some great opportunities in emerging technologies and as we move into a new dimension of digital tech, the world will be a better place.